Saturday, August 24, 2013

Feeling a little sour..

When I met mark, it was like all the sickening gooy crap you see in movies. Even now it's annoying to think about, and I was there! In all that magical haze, there is a fond memory I hold tight of one day that we went for a walk in a park. Under a tree'd canopy along a mulched path, we sat on stumps of recently cut trees talking about random stuff. Differences without ex's and where we would like to go in life. Typical getting to know you junk.

There we started talking about houses.. which turned into renovating.. then I somehow spilled in my fondness of OLD houses. With a glimmer of hope, he wondered if I could live amongst the salvages of bathrooms/kitchens/rooms while improving.  In saw dust till death do us part. Bet your ass I can.  I think his cute little ol' heart skipped a beat when I said I love the smell of freshly cut wood. Then he told me about Plymouth road.


6595 Plymouth Road. Ann Arbor.
He's driven by it for YEARS. Watching the vegetation gain segments of the yard as it consumes it in over growth. Every once and a while, someone would come and cut back the green curtain so as you pass it... you  remember it's there. (It's just past Dixboro, on the left.) We have gone there a time or two to just peek around. I was in AWE of this magnificent place. Clearly it was built to make a statement, even if it wasn't on a grand scale. It's also been vacant for a good many years and needs love. Even after digging up the taxable information and seeing there has been no change of hands... It just SAT THERE. The white painted clapboard siding is slowing flaking and being reclaimed by our shitty Michigan weather. We both want to restore it. If the planets aligned, if money came from a generous source, if we didn't have to worry about uprooting our{my} kids.. A lot of  *IFs*. It's almost comforting that most of those IF's won't happen, so we don't have to really have to like... do anything about it. We are so lazy. :x

I drove by it today... enclosed in its green vale again. I even slowed down to see if it was still there. ((We fear it will be torn down one day. ::sad face:: )) Still there.. But I NEEDED to dig for some reason.  Mark and I dug up the old info he had on it, I plugged it into my niffy Realtor system..... AND IT'S FOR SALE. I shit you not. Now an *IF* isn't out of reach.

But that sour taste rose up in the back of my throat. Click the link and look at the price tag.
 oh HELL no!!
 A few things.. it's being sold basically as an investment property for a HUGE sum on money. The house it's self is an afterthought in the whole listing. ((Stand back listing agent.. you don't want to hear what I'm thinking or want to do)) Can't I/investor/some historical society buy just an acre or two of just the house & out buildings? Oh wait, but I don't HAVE that kind of money.
I have that verp feeling. Bleh.
So a driving tour says it best ((Page 6)) -> "one of the most elegant Greek Revival  houses in south east Michigan".   Well duh.

 Even better, the previous owner, Mr. & Mrs. Davids bought the house from the ORIGINAL family(after 103 years) in 1967-ish in hopes to restore it. They even had an Extensive Report on what needs to be done in 1993, which we will spend most of the night reading. lol Sadly, the Mr. up and died too soon, so that dashed away those plans. Even a historical group considered getting their elbows dirty with this one at one point in time.. but backed out. WTF. How do I get the right people to consider it again??


We need a sugar daddy. Mark's almost foaming at the mouth at all this new information. Ok.. I am too. lol  I'm guessing that in the next 48-72 hours I will have called the listing agent to talk about the house for shits and giggles, and we will have both walked the property at the very least. Maybe we can get in.. pics to come???

Who wants to come?  Perhaps we are meant to pick up this torch... Who's got a lighter to light this bitch?!

*update-I wrote to the Wash. County Historical Society to see if they have any Contacts or information about getting said property bought/restored.  I also called the listing agent to see if the sellers would sell the property with just the house and a few acres of land. ((And to SEE the house!)) It might not pan out to much in the long run... but I feel compelled to at least ask!!

**Update 09/09/13 The listing agent told me today that the seller(The niece who inherited the property) will NOT parcel off the house from the 46 acre lot. They are dropping the price to about 30K an acre, as if that is going to make it any better. I find this outrageous and greedy. I am also disappointed that the listing agent wasn't more encouraging either. ((He did gleefully profess that a few companies are interested in the lot to build a STRIP MALL. Hey, go F#*K your self man))
Karma is a bitch deary... get ready.

4 comments:

  1. I, too, love that house! I've kept my eye on it (I wonder if it knows it's being watched) every time I take one of my dogs to the vet. I'm saddened but not surprised that this is what's happening. *sigh* Another piece of history on the chopping block. Hope someone (you and Mark?) can salvage it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We really would love to. It's kind of his dream... The questions is HOW!
    I have heard from several people that they watch that house... wondering about it. I wonder if all those watchful eyes would want to be part of something like this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you got that lot cut down to a few acres what would the house and out buildings cost you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good question Jim. In Superior Township, a undeveloped acre really runs you about 40-60K. I need to call the township office to see where the gas and sewage/water lines run if at all out there. This property needs all new well/septic and gas lines. but if the have to ta in, that could make a 25k basic needs fix a 70K+ fix. BUT... a property with a "house" that is distressed works in our favor. That decreases the price point. If the sellers wouldn't donate the small property area, I'd say a fair price point for a few acres and this house/out buildings wouldn't exceed 125k. Less is always better! lol

      Delete